Thursday, May 12, 2011

Using Keller's ARCS model

 Briefly describe a situation in which you have encouraged people to use a new technology and have been met with resistance or disappointing results. What attitudes did these people exhibit? What behaviors did they demonstrate? Using Keller’s ARCS model, describe how you could change the motivation of these people, or learners, to encourage success. 

There have been many disappointing results with technology in my particular situation.  I encounter such attitudes as anger, apathy, confusion, fear, and arrogance.  It is an everyday struggle that requires a quick mind to counter-act these postures.

Using Keller's ARCS model here is (mostly) what I used to motivate these individuals.

Attention:  This is the most basic model.  Keeping my students on track and focused is one of the greatest challenges.  My method is to point out their mission: to gain a GED so that they can become more successful in the "real world".  This means and follows:

Relevance:  The lessons cannot be non-applicable to their particular lives.  "How am I going to use this algebraic equation in the real world?"  Is similar to other questions I've had to deal with and make more palatable the subject and particular lesson for that student.  Which then leads to:

Confidence:  Growing confidence is easy if the student is experiencing success.  In the CAI-Lab success are intrinsically individual.  I celebrate with each student who gains and achieves the "right" to take a GED exam, which of course is the primary goal.  And finally we arrive at:

Satisfaction:  This is the goal, the accomplishment and the final achievement for both my students and myself.  When I see my students walk across the stage (yes, we have graduations) - I tear up, because I know what struggles and efforts were put into gaining this beginning certification. 

No comments:

Post a Comment