Wednesday, May 25, 2011

The Final Blog

      It is strange, but ever since I was young I’ve been attracted to technology.  I say strange because technology was not a big part of my education.  While I was in college (back in the ‘60’s) the traditional professor/student relationship was strictly face to face.  We learned through lecture and class interactive discussion.  I ran from class to class daily, keeping up strict schedules.  Distance education was unheard of, because computers were just entering on the field of business and education (I think we thought Skinner’s black box was a futuristic ideal).  I then had to put off the reason I had gone to college (a teaching degree) to raise a family.  My world was delayed and I lost out on much of the technology growth.
      As I grew and was more or less forced into the workplace, I realized that computers helped a great deal in facilitating mundane jobs, leaving more room for productivity. Now after years of immersion into technology, especially educational technology, I realize my first idea about computers and devices to help make life easier – really did.  Now, after studying and learning how to use technological innovations it occurs to me that there is no turning back.  We are being encouraged to grow and are encouraging our students to grow with the onsets of a new theories that match the economic and social growth of a much larger world, evidenced by social media.  Critical and non-negotiable to teaching and learning is not losing the human quality of learning, a danger presented by the ease of using tech devices to interact with others (again attributed to social media).  It is a great thing to be innovative and futuristic.  However, my philosophy of learning is once you stop using the human trait of learning and questioning, you become complacent and lazy - this is dangerous.

2 comments:

  1. Chris,

    You are correct, there is no turning back. Technology is here, it is part of our lives and we need to learn to live with it. It’s funny to me how some will say that technology is having a degrading effect on human interaction. I disagree. Sure, there are incidents where that is true, but it is also true of TV and hermits who choose to live alone. I was in high school in the early 80’s when computers, Apple IIe’s made it into the public schools. We had exactly one class offered and I took it. When I got to college, I was considered a “computer whiz” because I had logged quite a bit of time on a computer. And then we know how computers have grown. My point is, thanks to technology, my two college roommates and I are closer now than when we first graduated college in ’89. When we graduated, we had to call or write letters in order to keep in touch. We went LONG LONG periods of no contact. Then email came along and now we could connect every month. Technically more so but life gets in the way. Then came text messaging. Now we are in contact so much we know almost immediately when something of note happens. It takes no time to connect quickly in a 3-way text. You can’t always call. You don’t always have time to have a conversation. Waiting until you do to share news is not as exciting as sharing it on the spot.

    We love baseball. We watch baseball games (and football and hockey) together very regularly. Each in our own homes in 3 different states. But we watch together, texting the whole time. My relationship with my sister-in-law grew in leaps and bounds when we discovered we watch a lot of the same TV shows, especially “reality” shows. Now we watch together and text throughout. The positive impact it has had on our relationship is amazing. I could go on and on, but I think you get my point. Technology has a tremendous amount of good. It can be used for good or for bad. But that can be said about ANYTHING. But those who say that technology is “dehumanizing” us I think are woefully misguided. I think it’s done a tremendous job of bringing friends and families closer together. Like anything else; everything in moderation!

    Good luck in your future endeavors!!!

    -Christine R.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am trying to respond to Chris Wallo
    Chris

    The human touch of teaching cannot be replaced in  any form of learning. This human touch might include a face to face experience or it might include connections using a variety of technology tools; however, nothing can replace it. One of the first thing I learned while beginning my distance education venture is that technology can enhance learning and motivate learners. This is why I have chosen this curriculum.

    ~Wanda
    Posted by W. Ardoin-Bailey at 9:04 PM 0 comments


    Wednesday, May 18, 2011

    ReplyDelete